Dave John Astom


Today we talk to Dave John Astom about being a banker by day, practicing what you read, and his lightshaping adventures.


Gerome Soriano
Dave, tell us about your background? How you got into photography? Wedding photography? And into working with Lightshapers?


Dave John Astom
Im a banker by Day. I  currently work with Chinabank Savings as a service head. Iv been in the banking industry since 2001.
Maliit pala ako, nakakahawak nako mg point and shoot na film camera. It was my parents' who  inspired me. Nagagandahan ako sa album ng mga magulang ko. Nostalgic, makakita ng black and white images. Tapos nakapose ang mga tao.
2005 nung nagkaron ako ng point and shoot na camera. Then a year later, nagkaron ako ng Alpha100.

Back in 2009, i was contacted by Wlbert Chua and Lally Eleazar. Along with Jagey Nave, we were 4 photogs for Lightshapers, which is owned by the Alpha Queen Lally. My first wedding was in Fernwood gardens in QC. And it inspired me to get going with weddings. I got high coz i was able to get a decent shot of the bride, crying over her new husband's shoulder.

Gerome Soriano
wow!
That's the way to get started in wedding photography! I'm curious how Wilbert and Lally got to know you?


Dave John Astom
They saw my pictures from SAPI.


Gerome Soriano
So even back then you're photos were pretty good? How did you learn photography? From whom?



Dave John Astom
In my opinion, my photos still has a lot of room for improvement from then until now. I guess that time, my shooting style fits the bill.
I learned from reading a lot. Primarily from a photography magazine, where i got yearly subscription since 2007. Daming tips, and if i read something interesting, i practice on it.


Gerome Soriano
I think that's an important point there yung hindi lang pagbabasa ng tips kung paggamit din sa kanila. Ok now talk about the images you sent me.
(ito yung pinakaaayaw ng iba eh)


Dave John Astom
Haha. Sige pls. Fire away.
This is the image i was referring to. This got me high on weddings coz i (believe) i had the money shot. Bridal dance. 
A100+Sigma2470f2.8.





Here's to trying out the nex5's sweep panorama. Its funny coz everytime i attend sony's product launch, napapabili ako ng product na yon. I was in love with this camera.




This project was a prenup done in uplb. Concept was done in such a way na twilightish ang dating.




The same couple in the forest shot. Still in uplb. Did multiple shots on a same scene while the lady takes steps toward his man.
A900+1635Z




I read somewhere about creating words out of objects found during weddings preps, this is one of the outputs.
A700+1680Z




Concept here was to have a running exit from the church. It was an afternoon till night wedding. We lit this with one floodlight from the outside.  Removed all colors except the roses. 
A900+2470Z




A shot from our Malate Church coverage. 
A700+1680Z





Same couple from the malate church wedding. I took advantage of the glow of dawn and took a silhouette shot. 
M9+Nocti50F0.95 (cam courtesy of Lally)




My foray into 50mm. I my opinion, that FL is the perfect wedding lens.
M9+Noctilux50F0.95





This is his bride of the groom above. Window lit shot of the bouquet. 
M9+50F0.95




Our first bride who is fashionably dressed. 
M9+50F0.95


No comments:

Post a Comment