Rey Soliven who also goes by the name Yer Nevilos talks about. Street Photography and Mondrian.
Gerome Neil M. Soriano:
Tell us about your background?
Tell us about your background?
Yer Nevilos:
By Profession I am a Product Design consultant for 20 years , 42 years old; I graduated from UST - Fine Arts major in Industrial Design. We share the same blood - Tiger!
By Profession I am a Product Design consultant for 20 years , 42 years old; I graduated from UST - Fine Arts major in Industrial Design. We share the same blood - Tiger!
Gerome:
RAWR
So how did you got into photography?
RAWR
So how did you got into photography?
Yer:
It was part of a college subject and my profession requires some photo documentation, but on the creative side of photography I started slowly from 1994 to 2003 at the Design Center Philippines in the CCP, under the tutelage of Ramon “Baby”Blanco - a purist-photographer. Ever since then Photography is a part of work but not the main work, designing is still my main work but i am enjoying the fact that there are only few of us in my line of profession who seem to be doing both!
It was part of a college subject and my profession requires some photo documentation, but on the creative side of photography I started slowly from 1994 to 2003 at the Design Center Philippines in the CCP, under the tutelage of Ramon “Baby”Blanco - a purist-photographer. Ever since then Photography is a part of work but not the main work, designing is still my main work but i am enjoying the fact that there are only few of us in my line of profession who seem to be doing both!
During project-related travels in provinces we would take him with us. That’s why we were able to acquire on-the-job information by working with him. It was like a “barkadahan”, a close friendship, but for us it became a long-term shooting friendship. Learned from him- Basic Photography, the usual compositional techniques - rule of thirds, balance, rhythm, repetition, color, harmony, etc., yet even though we were lucky to learn the basic rules - I had to formalize my learnings through a workshop-seminar he conducted in 2009, Confidence building! I didn't want to go through other formal workshops because he was already there. He is not a Street Photographer btw :XD
this is him! – I just acquired the A350 Sony in that picture if I remember right -2009!
Gerome:
Then after that workshop-seminar you explored street photography?
why Sony? Is Ramon a Sony user ?
Then after that workshop-seminar you explored street photography?
why Sony? Is Ramon a Sony user ?
Yer:
Ironically he is a Nikon guy!! The first time I unveiled the Sony was in that travel in Banawe, Ifugao, that’s him in the photograph above. They mocked me a bit, the other is a designer-friend, a Canon user, because both requested that I buy the same as their brands. But Sony is closer to my heart because of my Sony Ericsson phones! - and at that time the A350 just introduced the 'Folding LCD-Monitor' - which was a very big advantage in so many situations - for me in macro and product photography, as well as in crowded places and in situations where I can’t reach the height, just raise it then you capture the scene!
Ironically he is a Nikon guy!! The first time I unveiled the Sony was in that travel in Banawe, Ifugao, that’s him in the photograph above. They mocked me a bit, the other is a designer-friend, a Canon user, because both requested that I buy the same as their brands. But Sony is closer to my heart because of my Sony Ericsson phones! - and at that time the A350 just introduced the 'Folding LCD-Monitor' - which was a very big advantage in so many situations - for me in macro and product photography, as well as in crowded places and in situations where I can’t reach the height, just raise it then you capture the scene!
“Baby” only muttered in a veiled gesture - “I thought you were getting a Nikon! so game let’s go shoot!”
Gerome:
What was their impression of your new Sony camera when they saw the resulting images.
Yer:
For Baby it didn't matter because he was after the craft-the result, not on the brand but he praised the unit nonetheless, our other “barkada” was more challenging and a little discriminating. He said things like, “there are only few Sony users, there are no lens options… etc”. He was my competitor in creative photography during that time.
What was their impression of your new Sony camera when they saw the resulting images.
Yer:
For Baby it didn't matter because he was after the craft-the result, not on the brand but he praised the unit nonetheless, our other “barkada” was more challenging and a little discriminating. He said things like, “there are only few Sony users, there are no lens options… etc”. He was my competitor in creative photography during that time.
In terms of image result, although they both looked at it subjectively and objectively - they never questioned the outputs because we already had some discipline established, after the image/product photography comes the various applications e.g.: Promo collaterals, catalogues, etc. so that's another level of work already.. In product photography certain aspects of composition and purpose of project play the role –
Gerome:
So how about street photography? How did you get started in it?
So how about street photography? How did you get started in it?
Yer:
via Usapang Kalye! I joined UK April this year [2012], totally knew nothing about Street Photography. If you were following my posts in UK when I started there, a lot of newbie-related negative critiques ensued in my initial street shots, which naturally led to some exchanges of strong opinions… especially from the more informed and experienced SP practitioners was a big challenge - and fueled me to Learn, study SP via the various Sp sites and links. I was like 1 semester part-time teaching a Design subject in CSB-La Salle hehe. Like everyone else into SP, I came to know about Henri-Cartier Bresson [HCB], Alex Webb, etc, and discover the beauty, joys, challenges and difficulties of shooting the streets in the candid-unstaged form. Yet at this point, I’m still in the learning stage.
via Usapang Kalye! I joined UK April this year [2012], totally knew nothing about Street Photography. If you were following my posts in UK when I started there, a lot of newbie-related negative critiques ensued in my initial street shots, which naturally led to some exchanges of strong opinions… especially from the more informed and experienced SP practitioners was a big challenge - and fueled me to Learn, study SP via the various Sp sites and links. I was like 1 semester part-time teaching a Design subject in CSB-La Salle hehe. Like everyone else into SP, I came to know about Henri-Cartier Bresson [HCB], Alex Webb, etc, and discover the beauty, joys, challenges and difficulties of shooting the streets in the candid-unstaged form. Yet at this point, I’m still in the learning stage.
Gerome:
Is it really part of the Street photography culture? The hard comments, critiquing?
Yer:
Due to its purpose and set rules, fortunately – for UK, being a CRITIQUE Group it appears that the answer is yes – it’s the culture, know that it is made up of members who are far more knowledgeable than the others and everyone’s time to share opinions of intellect pertaining to SP can be as sacred. As emphasized early on members are urged to read and understand Street Photography from the definition to the principles, techniques, rules, etc., just so one will not get lost during threads and exchanges of opinions during discussions normally arising from the posted images, at least I can understand it now more clearly! The Great part is – you will be trained to be your own best and worst critic. If one wants to explore and share St. Photography works further there are other critique-learning groups by the way such as Streettogs, head-administered by Erik Kim, OES (On Every Street), etc.
Is it really part of the Street photography culture? The hard comments, critiquing?
Yer:
Due to its purpose and set rules, fortunately – for UK, being a CRITIQUE Group it appears that the answer is yes – it’s the culture, know that it is made up of members who are far more knowledgeable than the others and everyone’s time to share opinions of intellect pertaining to SP can be as sacred. As emphasized early on members are urged to read and understand Street Photography from the definition to the principles, techniques, rules, etc., just so one will not get lost during threads and exchanges of opinions during discussions normally arising from the posted images, at least I can understand it now more clearly! The Great part is – you will be trained to be your own best and worst critic. If one wants to explore and share St. Photography works further there are other critique-learning groups by the way such as Streettogs, head-administered by Erik Kim, OES (On Every Street), etc.
Gerome:
So you were also learning from streettogs while you were learning in Usapang Kalye.
So you were also learning from streettogs while you were learning in Usapang Kalye.
Yer:
UK is the hard way, some street photographs that may look good when not properly addressed for its intent and purpose may end up as just another ordinary image to some, that’s why reading and analysis are a must, as well as visiting various SP links, books if available, and most especially practicing by shooting in the streets are requirements!
- Streettogs is relatively a newer group, I already managed to establish some terminologies and practiced some techniques before I joined so somehow I can relate to the threads/posts... you at least know the language once you shot a person very close to the face!
UK is the hard way, some street photographs that may look good when not properly addressed for its intent and purpose may end up as just another ordinary image to some, that’s why reading and analysis are a must, as well as visiting various SP links, books if available, and most especially practicing by shooting in the streets are requirements!
- Streettogs is relatively a newer group, I already managed to establish some terminologies and practiced some techniques before I joined so somehow I can relate to the threads/posts... you at least know the language once you shot a person very close to the face!
Gerome:
Is it right to say that you learned a lot from self-study outside Usapang Kalye?
Yer:
40/60 siguro! After UK initial links, I found out about other Street Photographers and sites that feature and promote it, I learned that there were a lot of them! I saved them all as E-Files and read them from time to time- and of course, the best way is to practise it - CCP is my favorite shooting ground, I have dedicated albums both in B&W and Colored. And of course I had been practicing intact my basic-to-Standard photography skills years before.
how about you? where do you usually shoot Gerome?
Is it right to say that you learned a lot from self-study outside Usapang Kalye?
Yer:
40/60 siguro! After UK initial links, I found out about other Street Photographers and sites that feature and promote it, I learned that there were a lot of them! I saved them all as E-Files and read them from time to time- and of course, the best way is to practise it - CCP is my favorite shooting ground, I have dedicated albums both in B&W and Colored. And of course I had been practicing intact my basic-to-Standard photography skills years before.
how about you? where do you usually shoot Gerome?
Gerome:
I tend to roam free
My specialty is kite aerial photography. My focus fine art photography. Street photography is a skill I need for a series I’m working on.
Quiapo and the public market for Street Photography.
I tend to roam free
My specialty is kite aerial photography. My focus fine art photography. Street photography is a skill I need for a series I’m working on.
Quiapo and the public market for Street Photography.
Yer:
after 7 months I was able to shoot some SP images to make a decicated website.. I hope to join an exhibit someday.
after 7 months I was able to shoot some SP images to make a decicated website.. I hope to join an exhibit someday.
Gerome:
Yes that is one of the objectives of these interviews. To convince Sony to host an exhibit for Sony users.
Yes that is one of the objectives of these interviews. To convince Sony to host an exhibit for Sony users.
Yer:
I looked into your albums (in facebook), and it will be great if you can add human elements to some of your compos, that will be very interesting!
I looked into your albums (in facebook), and it will be great if you can add human elements to some of your compos, that will be very interesting!
Personally I quite found that Street Photography seems like the culmination of the basic, standard and advance methods of photography, one can never be a good street photographer without the 1st and 2nd :XD
Gerome:
Speaking of basics. I noticed in your photographs that you have a very strong art theory foundation.
Piet Mondrian inspired photos.
Where did you learn that?
Speaking of basics. I noticed in your photographs that you have a very strong art theory foundation.
Piet Mondrian inspired photos.
Where did you learn that?
Yer:
Hehe, Piet Mondrian is a famous painter from Holland, born in 1872. Through his paintings, he is one of the key influences in Arts and Design from 1900-40s and up to this day, there were many who followed his use of lines and color, his compositions are in line with the principles of Art that we studied in college and after college I guess… Cubism and Impressionism are his styles that later leaned towards Modern Abstract . Very good source of inspiration especially on balance and subject placement.
Hehe, Piet Mondrian is a famous painter from Holland, born in 1872. Through his paintings, he is one of the key influences in Arts and Design from 1900-40s and up to this day, there were many who followed his use of lines and color, his compositions are in line with the principles of Art that we studied in college and after college I guess… Cubism and Impressionism are his styles that later leaned towards Modern Abstract . Very good source of inspiration especially on balance and subject placement.
Gerome:
Can you share some of the best street photographs you’ve taken?
Yer:
Wait. I’ll just sort them out.
Let’s shoot together at CCP sometime soon.
Can you share some of the best street photographs you’ve taken?
Yer:
Wait. I’ll just sort them out.
Let’s shoot together at CCP sometime soon.
Gerome:
That will be great. I’m interested in seeing Street Photographers at work.
That will be great. I’m interested in seeing Street Photographers at work.
Yer:
"Tres:
a study on geometry/diagonals/patterns, repetition, contrast.
"Tres:
a study on geometry/diagonals/patterns, repetition, contrast.
"Internalyze"
I love this one! I was waiting in ambush for 30mins while waiting for my friend to fetch me! comes as series, explanation included :XD

I love this one! I was waiting in ambush for 30mins while waiting for my friend to fetch me! comes as series, explanation included :XD

'Forgotten Adonis'
Tagyatay - 2011 - No Human Element! As they say the hardest concept to
photograph in Street Photography, two important elements captured i think - the
flying bird on top suggests of a decisive moment [?], and Adonis here portrayed
in a sad emotional expression and sympathetic state very much represent the
human connection..
''PAAKYAT lang pare!'
Black & White Version - Mall of Asia - October 2012 - use of structure/architecture to frame the human
element, note the use of balance and composition is very important, the
location as well =D
"Shadow Play"
Tourist island - Bohol,Philippines - 2012 - shadow play! shot in a university in Bohol, took
position at a stairway, the intent was to capture a stretched/walking shadow,
at UK - they call this background fixing - selecting a good spot, and waiting
for the most interesting subject to appear, you may wait for a few minutes or
longer, and you may set your camera to burst mode so as to capture the best position..B&W
contrast i think was set 2steps lower :XD
"Under my Umbrella"
a study and application of: lines [curves] color. dynamic. repetition. pattern.
i was the last passenger on board to get out of the plane purposely to shoot a scene of this intent and I could not thank the heavens more for the chance! Color is unifying, pattern has the dynamic diagonal pink lines to the sinister 'S' and 'C' curve forms (starting from this man's umbrella) famously established by masters/photographers (Ansel Adams / Henri Cartier Breson).

i was the last passenger on board to get out of the plane purposely to shoot a scene of this intent and I could not thank the heavens more for the chance! Color is unifying, pattern has the dynamic diagonal pink lines to the sinister 'S' and 'C' curve forms (starting from this man's umbrella) famously established by masters/photographers (Ansel Adams / Henri Cartier Breson).
I anticipated this umbrella shot, for 3 months i have long wanted to shoot the moments in pre-post flights, i imagined that they will not be able to stop me because they are busy doing some fieldwork ( the subjects), and smiling too, it helps that they think I was tourist!

Gerome Neil M. Soriano
heheheh. That’s right I also heard that from other photographers that it helps to be a tourist.
"Into the...."
Megaplaza - LRT Buendia Station. 2012i love the sense of mystery played by this shot, a personal fave! I was in queue at an ATM line, i used my Xperia fone here, the early morning sun gave a good angle for shadow cast !

Megaplaza - LRT Buendia Station. 2012i love the sense of mystery played by this shot, a personal fave! I was in queue at an ATM line, i used my Xperia fone here, the early morning sun gave a good angle for shadow cast !

just like what Chase Jarvis said, "the best camera is the one that's with you" :)
and yours as well, a SONY!!!
hahaha
this is my latest challenge - in-your-face shots!
shooting them head-face on is the thrill! I have only few successes with this
but i think I’m getting the hang of it! I
use the 50mm so that I have some distance from the subject and that I will be
able to take about five photos ... - i only noticed how he stared at me during
review in my computer! it's a personal wow :XD
'Dagger look'!
Shot in Harbour Sq, CCP on a beautiful sunny sunday morning. part of continuing CCP SP Project.
Shot in Harbour Sq, CCP on a beautiful sunny sunday morning. part of continuing CCP SP Project.
in COLOUR: - the wide streets of CCP is a perfect prowl for unobtrusive geometry. KALYE CCP documents life's unfolding in this popular park, business area from the time I started with St. photography. all are studies. thanks to Usapang Kalye


Yer Nevilos:
"The Mondrian Inspiration"
This is the one image i posted that quite attracted argument in one discussion, a common error for newbies like me, [not to engage when not yet ready] – though not part of the intent to use Art in attributing this image. For two weeks –I went on a study-research mode to find the technical connection that Art is very much a part of Street photography, and I found this perfect Blog-link below-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1468660/Henri-Cartier-Bresson.html
This is the one image i posted that quite attracted argument in one discussion, a common error for newbies like me, [not to engage when not yet ready] – though not part of the intent to use Art in attributing this image. For two weeks –I went on a study-research mode to find the technical connection that Art is very much a part of Street photography, and I found this perfect Blog-link below-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1468660/Henri-Cartier-Bresson.html
Based on this news/report/blog – it is startling to discover which some may have overlooked or ignored - that Henri Cartier Bresson took up painting and went under the tutelage of French Cubist master painter Andre Lhote, [to whom he later attributed his skill for composition] before he became a full time Street Photographer, that discovery for me basically strengthened my contention, HCB practised and applied the Art theories in many if not most of his photographic compositions, the same Principles that Piet Mondrian [and Van Gogh] used in his paintings, History of Art / History of Design, end of story!
I realized though, and with much respect that fellow st photographers come from different respective views and backgrounds and obviously differ in perspective with those who directly studied design and art as against one who took up say Medicine, or Music. But as I learned in the end, art - being the creative manifestation and expression of life is embedded in the principles that govern our way of balancing and composing, mixing colors, tasting and feel of texture not just for St photography, general Photography but in designing our daily activities. - that's the Story Behind The Mondrian inspiration image!
Anyway in the end, I owe it and thanks to UK for all the learnings!
I realized though, and with much respect that fellow st photographers come from different respective views and backgrounds and obviously differ in perspective with those who directly studied design and art as against one who took up say Medicine, or Music. But as I learned in the end, art - being the creative manifestation and expression of life is embedded in the principles that govern our way of balancing and composing, mixing colors, tasting and feel of texture not just for St photography, general Photography but in designing our daily activities. - that's the Story Behind The Mondrian inspiration image!
Anyway in the end, I owe it and thanks to UK for all the learnings!
Gerome Neil M. Soriano
The Mondrian in there is very strong! Where did you take this photogaph?
The Mondrian in there is very strong! Where did you take this photogaph?
Yer Nevilos
inside PTTC building, CCP complex, that one near Roxas Blvd and Buendia.
inside PTTC building, CCP complex, that one near Roxas Blvd and Buendia.
Gerome Neil M. Soriano
so if I'm getting it right what you do is look for art theories such as play of shadows and juxtaposition to manifest in reality and take the photograph of that?
<!--[if !supportLists]-->
so if I'm getting it right what you do is look for art theories such as play of shadows and juxtaposition to manifest in reality and take the photograph of that?
<!--[if !supportLists]-->
Yer Nevilos
to some extent, yes because there is a structure/structural pattern that was available at the time that allows for a better composition [this image], BUT NOT ALL the time as there are other techniques/application to consider though (use of geometry, architecture, humor, juxtaposition, similarities, etc) because street photography can be so spontaneous that a good subject/potential scene is lost forever, say a dalmatian walking side by side with a group of ladies wearing in b&w striped dresses and you happen to shoot it at that moment because you have a camera with you, you only have a few seconds to position yourself to at least get the best spot to be able to show the ‘content’ -something more than ordinary from their juxtaposition, while considering the ‘context’-surroundings where you took it.
to some extent, yes because there is a structure/structural pattern that was available at the time that allows for a better composition [this image], BUT NOT ALL the time as there are other techniques/application to consider though (use of geometry, architecture, humor, juxtaposition, similarities, etc) because street photography can be so spontaneous that a good subject/potential scene is lost forever, say a dalmatian walking side by side with a group of ladies wearing in b&w striped dresses and you happen to shoot it at that moment because you have a camera with you, you only have a few seconds to position yourself to at least get the best spot to be able to show the ‘content’ -something more than ordinary from their juxtaposition, while considering the ‘context’-surroundings where you took it.
Yer Nevilos
i found the link above very inspiring and the supporting lines vindicating –
Henri Cartier-Bresson - Telegraph
Quote-unquote –
“Of equal importance was his elevation of photography to the status of art;…“
“Photographer who created the language of photojournalism and elevated the medium to the level of art”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1468660/Henri-Cartier-Bresson.html
www.telegraph.co.uk
i found the link above very inspiring and the supporting lines vindicating –
Henri Cartier-Bresson - Telegraph
Quote-unquote –
“Of equal importance was his elevation of photography to the status of art;…“
“Photographer who created the language of photojournalism and elevated the medium to the level of art”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1468660/Henri-Cartier-Bresson.html
www.telegraph.co.uk
Gerome Neil M. Soriano
closing note
closing note
Yer Nevilos
alright! how can i reciprocate you best? cape? hehe,, CCP ha :XD
alright! how can i reciprocate you best? cape? hehe,, CCP ha :XD
*all IMAGES are embedded with minute-sized watermarks. images
are taken with the Alpha350/fixed 30&50mm and the handy 5mp Experia mobile
phone. more of Yer Nevilos works can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/Kalye5Streetshots







napintas lakay!
ReplyDeleteWow. great interview and photos.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog - both the interview which gave us a deeper insight into your photography world and the photos themselves are awesome! Congratulations Rey Soliven!
ReplyDelete