Lhar Santillan Gil


Lhar talks about Nex-5 and being his own worse critic.

Gerome Soriano
Tell us about your background?

Lhar Santillan Gil
I am a computer science graduate from the University of San Carlos, Cebu. Professional experiences include serving as a faculty member for the mathematics and computer science department as well as a web developer of the same university. I entered photography at around my 2nd year of teaching for the same university. It was out of necessity (need some documentation for the high school "mini" reunion) rather than a sudden surge of artistic juice. My first ILC (Interchangeable Lens Compact Camera) was the 1st generation NEX-5.

I learned my basic photography from nathaniel salang. batch 69. hihihihi. It is from him that I learned to  "be your worst critic!" 

Gerome Soriano
Your first camera was a NEX-5?

Lhar Santillan Gil
Oh, let me clear that, the "necessary" camera was a Cybershot w350, iirc. .. The first ILC was the NEX-5. 

Gerome Soriano
hahahah
How did you go from a cybershot w800 to a Nex-5??

Lhar Santillan Gil
Being a Computer Science graduate, it’s quite natural to have the urge to be in the know with regards to the latest happenings in tech. So I followed a number of tech-blog sites, most notably, engadget, gizmodo and theverge...

At around 2010 reports of the nex-5 started to appear... in one of the feeds.. previously, I have been eyeing small ILCs, namely m4/3s cams and the Samsung nx.. I wanted small because I did not want to go with the flow and buy a canon or a Nikon...

When I first found out about the nex-5, it was love at first sight, to be honest about it. :))

I started reading forums particularly the dpreview nex forum. There I found fellow enthusiasts excited about this whole mirrorless thing. I saw several samples of photos highlighting the awesomeness of the nex-5... the ultimate dealmaker was the possibility of mounting virtually any lens known to man.. being a history buff, that was nerdgasmic! so before the year 2010 ended, I got myself the nex-5. 

It was a grey unit by the way, for I wanted a dual lens setup, 1855 and 16mm, for a few dimes. official Sony ph units are just too expensive. :))

Gerome Soriano
So you're a very specs and review intensive person when considering a camera. what won you over to Sony cameras instead of the more famous Nikons or Canons?

Lhar Santillan Gil
At that time, I cannot even understand the specs. I was only after the cuteness and compact size. the thought of mounting a telephoto lens to a compact body sounds weird but it made me excited, it was such a head turner. one of the first lenses I bought was a manual FD 100-300mm lens! imagine that. :))

Simply put, I did not want to go with the flow. as much as possible, I want to be different. 

Gerome Soriano
So how did it performed?

Lhar Santillan Gil
It performed admirably, when it hit the right focus. this was way before focus peaking was added to the nex:
Sample photo:

I employed refocusing at a certain spot/zone, and wait for the action to happen in that zone. 

Gerome Soriano
Now let's talk about the photographs that you sent me. it seemed like you are interested in different types of photography. Please share the stories behind your photos.






Lhar Santillan Gil
Most of the photos are from my macrophotography exploits. It was the first photography genre that I immediately fell in love with.

First, it was difficult for most people, looking for insects, spiders, etc.. they are small and are usually taken for granted..

Second, the subjects are relatively easy to photograph. They stay still most of the time, they don't complain no matter how many times you "flashed" them. :))

Lastly, the macro photography gears are pretty inexpensive so you can basically start off with just a simple kit lens and a separate device like a reverse ring adapter or a set of extension tubes. built-in flash can be used for lighting.

For a relatively cheap setup, you can be awesome! 






Gerome Soriano
Then from that you moved into flashing on human models?

Lhar Santillan Gil
For the landscape shots, I usually just take whenever I get the chance during my travels in and around my province. Same thing is true with portraiture. Not really into setting up a model shoot for example, as the logistics consideration is a nightmare, at least for me. :))

I only use natural light for my portraits as of the moment as strobing has a steep learning curve.  But it’s in the to do list for this year. 








Gerome Soriano
Anything else you would like to share?


Lhar Santillan Gil
I recently turned pro in photography, started earning from a food photo shoot as well as in weddings. Photography can become expensive really quickly but it can also be fun and fulfilling. A long as you pay attention to your photos, make them great and awesome. Be your worst critic! 

Gerome Soriano
I think that will be it. Thanks Lhar for your time and more power to your photography!

Lhar Santillan Gil
Thank you Gerome for the opportunity. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go sir lhar!!! hehehe plan ko na rin mag nex...

    Comment By: The Rookie Blogger

    ReplyDelete